Blogs > Lighten Up with Craig

49-year-old Craig Deas, of Perry, hopes to improve his health and stamina as he spends his life in the public eye as part of his role as play-by-play announcer for the Lake County Captains.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Go West Young Man

Another busy week.  Not much exercise but made sure I stuck to the good eating habits.  I leave for Arizona for five days on Thursday and I am usually pretty good about doing some walking when I get out there.  I always look forward to heading out to spring training.  I'll get to see our coaching staff and check in with our former players.  It's always a good time.  My daughter is at Arizona State right now so I'll get to see her for the first time since Christmas.  

 

We hosted three of the families from the Chardon tragedy at the ballpark on Thursday.  They had asked about putting on a pess conference and the folks at Monreal Funeral Home put them in touch with me to get it together.  What an amazing and classy group of people going through something no one should ever have to.  We all met an hour before the press conference to go over our plan.  Near the end of out meeting, I was telling stories about my first job in radio with the legendary Pete Franklin.  Many of them knew of him and were fans of his.  We were able to share a couple of laughs with some of my stories and them recalling funny things they remembered from the show.  It did not seem like much at the time but as I was driving home that night I thought that at least for that ten minute period of time some of them might have had a brief escape from what they were going through.  I'll never forget that day.  It was an honor to have been asked to help out.  I didn't know what to say them when we met to make them feel better and I still don't now.              

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are enjoying AZ Craig. We won't be there until Tuesday so I guess we will miss you. Congrats on your first month in the contest. Keep up the good work

March 8, 2012 at 7:49 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home